Afzali, Sayyed Faridoddin
Khan, Kamil A.
MacGregor, John F.
Madabhushi, Pranav Bhaswanth
Marlin, Thomas E.
Swartz, Chris L. E.
Supervised by Dr. Thomas Adams II
B. Eng. Mgmt, Chemical Engineering - McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
NSERC USRA position under the supervision of Dr. P. Mhaskar - McMaster University
Compressed Air Energy Storage Integration with a Zero-Carbon Emission Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell Power Plant
Solid-oxide fuel cells (SOFCs) are a promising new technology to produce efficient electrical power while capturing greenhouse gas emissions at a very low cost. However, current applicable SOFC technology is only able to provide base-load power, and therefore cannot be used to meet the typically peaking diurnal demand for power in a given market. On the other hand, the high temperatures and pressures of the SOFC design make it a strong candidate for the capture of its cathode exhaust stream (nearly pure nitrogen) for a compressed air energy storage (CAES) system.
A CAES system uses off-peak power to compress and store air in an underground facility, typically a salt dome or depleted natural gas reserve. The stored air is then preheated and expanded through power generation turbines in order to supply on-peak power. The objective of our research is to investigate the operational and economic feasibility of a combined CAES/SOFC system which can provide peaking power with zero greenhouse gas emissions.
- Nease, J., Monteiro, N., Adams, T. A. II Application of a two-level rolling horizon optimization scheme to a solid-oxide fuel cell and compressed air energy storage plant for the optimal supply of zero-emissions peaking power, Computers & Chemical Engineering,, 94 235-249 (2016) [ Publisher Version ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Comparative life cycle analyses of bulk-scale coal-fueled solid oxide fuel cell power plants, Applied Energy,, 150 161-175 (2015) [ Publisher Version| Open Access Version (free) ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Life cycle analyses of bulk-scale solid oxide fuel cell power plants, Can J Chem Eng,, 93 (8) 1349-1363 (2015) [ Publisher Version| Open Access Version (free) ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Application of Rolling-Horizon Optimization of Integrated Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell and Compressed Air Energy Storage Plant for Zero-Emissions Peaking Power Under Uncertainty, Comp Chem Eng,, 64 203-219 (2014) [ Publisher Version ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Coal-based systems for peaking power with 100% CO2 capture with solid oxide fuel cells and compressed air energy storage, J Power Sources,, 251 92-107 (2014) [ Publisher Version ]
- Adams, T. A. II, Nease, J., Tucker, David, Barton, Paul Energy conversion with solid oxide fuel cell systems: a review of concepts and outlooks for the short and long term, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research,, 52 3089–3111 (2013) [ Publisher Version ]
- Nease, J., Adams, T. A. II Systems for Peaking Power with 100% CO2 Capture by Integration of Solid Oxide Fuel Cells with Compressed Air Energy Storage, J Power Sources,, 228 281-293 (2013) [ Publisher Version ]
- Du, M., Nease, J., Mhaskar, P. An Integrated Fault Diagnosis and Safe-Parking Framework for Fault-Tolerant Control of Nonlinear Systems, Int. J. Rob. & Non. Contr.,, 22 105-122 (2012) [ Publisher Version ]
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Du M, Nease J, Mhaskar P. (2011) Integrated Fault Diagnosis and Robust Safe-Parking for Fault-Tolerant Control of Nonlinear Systems. Proceedings of the American Chemical Control Conference. San Francisco, California, USA. 804-809.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. Application of a multiple time-scale rolling horizon optimization technique for improved load-following of an integrated solid-oxide fuel cell/compressed air energy storage plant with zero emissions. Proceedings of the 26th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering. Portorož, Slovenia. Jun 2016. Accepted manuscript.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2013) Real-Time Optimization of Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells and Compressed Air Energy Storage for Peaking Power with Zero Emissions. Proceedings of the 63rd Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference. Fredericton, Canada.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2013) Peaking Power With 100% CO2 Capture Through the Integration of Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells, Compressed Air Energy Storage and Real Time Optimization. Proceedings of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2013) Real-Time Optimization of Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells and compressed Air Energy Storage for Peaking Power with Zero Emissions. Proceedings of the 2013 Canadian Statistics and Control Meeting. Kingston, Canada.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2012) Integration of Solid-Oxide Fuel Cells and Compressed Air Energy Storage for Peaking Power with Zero Carbon Emissions. Proceedings of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting. Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
- Nease J, Adams TA II. (2012) Solid-Oxide Fuel Cell and Compressed Air Energy Storage Integration to Provide Peaking Power with Zero Carbon Emissions. Proceedings of the 62nd Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference. Vancouver, Canada.